September’s gloom extended into October in Verona. Two members of a well-known family died and there was another uptick in crime. The upper field at Verona High School was rededicated and two key pieces of commercial real estate hit the market.
Every month, MyVeronaNJ.com looks at what our readers have been reading, and we let you know if you have to catch up on them. Here’s what you might have missed in October 2016:
- Roseann McEvoy, 48: The 1986 graduate of Verona High School had gone on to teach children with special needs.
- James A. McEvoy Sr., 82: The McEvoy family suffered a second blow when its patriarch also passed away.
- How Sellitto Field Got Its Name:
- Verona Police Arrest Burglary Suspect: An alert neighbor tipped off the police to suspicious activity.
- Two Events On Overbrook Asylum: As the last of Essex County’s former insane asylum is demolished, two groups looked at its history.
- Police Seek Attempted Robbery Suspect: The police released a sketch in an unsolved strong-arm robbery attempt.
- Thinking About The Railroad: Jay O’Neill reminisced about the line that once ran through the west side of Verona.
- Commercial First, Then Residential: The property that was the subject of a three-year-long development battle is put up for sale.
- VHS Honors Stiefbold, Former Soccer Coach: It was a game that Steppy would have loved, though he probably would have chafed at the recognition.
- BOE, Town Council Explore PILOT Compromise: Verona’s public school and government hold their first joint meeting in four years and explore a thorny tax issue.