As always, Verona’s Fourth of July fireworks will be held ahead of Independence Day to save us all some money. We’ll pay about half the cost to hold them on Monday July 2. There will be DJ entertainment beginning at 7 p.m. on Verona High School’s upper field and the fireworks will start at dusk. The rain date will be Tuesday, July 3. On July 4, there will be a concert for Verona residents at Verona Pool. Scroll down for details.
The Junior Woman’s Club of Verona will once again be hosting a fundraiser at the Verona fireworks. Stylists from Alicia’s Hair and Design in Montclair will be on hand with red and blue extensions and hair color for purchase. Proceeds from the evening will be donated to The Seeing Eye. The Juniors will also be collecting non-perishable food items for Operation Peanut Butter, Jelly and Beans. All foods received will be donated to the Human Needs Food Pantry in Montclair. In addition, the Juniors will be selling their Discount Card, which holds discounts to 22 local businesses, valid from June 1 to November 30. The card costs $20, or $18 for senior citizens, the card costs $18.00.
And there will be fireworks elsewhere to enjoy, beginning Friday, June 29. As part of Essex County’s summer concert series, there will be fireworks tonight in Branch Brook Park when the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra performs. The June 29 concert, which begins with some family fun at 6 p.m., will feature classical and patriotic numbers and music from E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial. There will also be fireworks at the July 2 concert by The Duprees and The Glenn Miller Orchestra in Brookdale Park. Cedar Grove’s fireworks will be Monday, July 2, at Cedar Grove High School.
If you absolutely, positively need your Fourth of July celebration to be on July 4, there are many other options. We’ve heard through the grapevine that the best place to catch many of the area’s public and private fireworks is in the K-Mart parking lot in West Orange. Here’s what else is happening:
- Independent Day Parade: Montclair has had a parade for 62 years on the Fourth. This year’s installment kicks off in the center of Montclair along Bloomfield Avenue at 11 a.m. and ends with a family picnic in Edgemont Park.
- Grover Cleveland House Ice Cream Social: An annual tradition for two decades at the Caldwell birthplace of America’s 22nd and 24th president. The fun runs from 1 to 4 p.m. and features tours of the house and games that Cleveland might have played as a child.
- Montclair Fireworks: Yogi Berra Stadium on the Montclair State University campus. Gates open at 7 p.m. and there will be free parking at MSU’s Carparc Diem deck next to Floyd Hall Arena.
- Verona Pool Concert: If you are a Verona resident, you can come to the pool for a concert by Verona’s own Alotta Colada starting at 7 p.m.
- Caldwell Fireworks: James Caldwell High School, 9: 15 p.m. $3 for adults, $1 for kids