The Verona Fire Department responded to a call at 384 Bloomfield Avenue on Tuesday morning. According to the VFD, the fire started at about 10:30 a.m. in a second-floor bedroom when a mattress caught fire. A neighbor dragged the flaming mattress outside onto the porch, which caused the porch to catch fire, doing suffered significant damage to the porch and siding.
The VFD responded within minutes and extinguished the blaze before the fire could spread any further. They removed some of the damaged porch boards to make sure that the fire did not get into hidden areas under the structure. The neighbor suffered burns to his hands but refused medical treatment. (Photo courtesy Tina Caridad)