I would be lying if I said I wasn’t looking forward to the start of nursery school for my two-year-old. Not because he’s a genius and needs to have his IQ tested with play-doh and glue, but because I’ve been here twice before and it’s best for everyone. While we’ve enjoyed many easy pajama mornings and at least as many days looking at all the interesting things in Verona Park, the simple truth is it’s time. For both of us.
This round though is a little different. While I’ve lived in Verona for over eight years, both of my older children went to nursery school in a neighboring town. While a great experience, I appreciate and welcome the value of keeping my youngest in town to make friends with other kids who could be in the same elementary school with him in another three years.
But I am almost behind the eight ball. I should have started making phone calls in December when I was more focused on getting to Toys ‘R’ Us by 8:30 a.m. I’m now focused on checking out nursery schools and I invite you to follow me as I go. I’ll try to ask the questions you’d ask if you were there, from hours and costs to class sizes and kids-to-teacher ratios.
In the meantime, here are the nursery school numbers you need if you are in the same boat as I am:
- Our Lady of the Lake (3 years by 10/1): (973)-239-1160;
- Community Montessori Academy: (973) 239-3999;
- Verona Weekday Nursery (3 year s by 10/1): (973) 857-9504;
- Creative Beginnings: (973) 239-2242;
- Children’s House: (973) 857-1234;
- Robin’s Nest Two/ Community Nursery School: (973) 239-3902
In my own search I have found that most schools are open to setting up individual appointments for tours and meeting the directors, but there are also a couple of scheduled open houses.
- Weekday Nursery School, which is located in First Presbyterian Church at 10 Fairview Avenue, will be having an open house on January 27 from 12:30 -2 p.m.
- Creative Beginnings, located in the Episcopal Church of the Holy Spirit at 36 Gould Street will have its open house on January 23 from 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Our Lady of the Lake, located at 26 Lakeside Avenue, has four open houses scheduled. January 21 from 7-8:30 p.m., January 24 from 1:30-3:30 p.m., February 1 and 2 from 9-11 a.m.