Are you over the age of 60? Do you have a story to tell that you’d like to share with others? The Essex County Legacies Writing Contest is approaching and Essex County Executive Joseph N. DiVincenzo, Jr. and the Essex County Division of Senior Services, invite Essex seniors ages 60 and older to submit an original story focusing on a special person, life-changing experience or significant period of their life.
The contest rules are as follows:
* Writers must be Essex County residents who are 60 years of age or older.
* Entries should be original stories focusing on a special person, a life-altering experience or a significant period in your life.
* The suggested maximum length is 1,500 words.
* Stories must be typed or legibly hand-written on 8.5-by-11 inch paper.
* Entries must have a cover page with the author’s name, date of birth, address and telephone number.
* The story title with no identifying information should appear on the first page of the story text. All identifying information about the author is removed when stories are judged by the review committee.
* Seniors may submit only one entry.
* Previously published stories may not be submitted.
* Seniors should keep a copy of the story. Entries will not be returned.
* The deadline for entries is Monday, March 19, 2012. Late entries will not be accepted.
Stories should be sent to the following:
Essex County Division of Senior Services
Attn: Legacies Contest
900 Bloomfield Avenue
Verona, NJ 07044
All writers who submit stories will be invited to the Division of Senior Services Legacies Luncheon Celebration in May 2012. Awards will be presented to the authors of the winning and honorable mention stories. These stories will be published in the Essex Advisor.
For a complete list of contest rules or for more information, please call the Essex County Division of Senior Services at 973-395-8375.
Good luck and happy writing!