On Friday the Girls’ and Boys’ Track teams competed in the Essex County Relays at Livingston High School. The Girls placed 6th overall out of 20 teams; the boys placed 10th overall. Columbia, Livingston and West Orange High School came in first, second and third respectively.
Once again the girls shone in the pole vault: the team of Rebecca Slotkin and Samantha Intili garnered the only first place of the day for Verona with a combined vault of 18’0″. Slotkin’s vault of 11’0″ was a full 2 feet above the number 2 finalist from West Essex.
- The intermediate hurdles team of Ashlee Petroski and Erin Smythe took 2nd place with a time of 3:25:56.
- Slotkin also helped garner a 4th in Javelin with a throw of 97-08, along with Julia Temple’s 74-00 for a total of 171-08.
- The distance medley of Kelly Scully, Erin Smythe, Rebecca Conaway and Heather Sweeney took fourth with 13:31:04.
- Team to watch: The 6,400 Meter relay team of Kelly Scully, Heather Sweeney and Christine Farawell and Christina Flores took 5th with a time of 23:33.09. All are underclassmen; Farawell and Flores are freshmen.
- The shot put team of Rebecca Lee and Julia Temple took sixth with a combined throw of 59–11. Lee’s throw of 35-11 was good for first place in the finals.
The boys results:
- The 6,400 meter relay team of Eddie Congdon, Dave Oster, Nick Lukas and Dave Lukas placed 3rd with a time of 18:39.65.
- Discus throwers Justin Bruso and Brian Hardenberg combined for a throw of 119-03, good for 4th place.
- Triple jumpers Kweku Sapara-Grant and Billy Meade came in 5th with their combined jump of 76-5.
- The javelin team of Sean McGinley and Matt Wolfman combined for a throw of 139-03 and 6th place.