In past winters, the Verona Recreation Department has held dozens of indoor sports programs for Verona children. That’s not possible this year because of COVID-19, so the Rec Department is rolling out outdoor exercise–street hockey, kickball, cross country, volleyball and hikes–for older elementary school, middle school and high school kids. Almost all programs are co-ed.
There’s a maximum of 20 kids in each program and participants must be masked at all times. No spectators will be allowed in the bleachers or on the sidelines, so parents will have to wait in the car or drop off and pick up. And, of course, cold or snowy weather could throw many of the classes a curve ball.
To register for any of the programs, use the Rec Department’s Community Pass system. Here’s what’s happening and when:
- Street Hockey, Liberty Field parking lot, $20: Wednesdays, February 3-24, from 5:30 to 6:10 p.m. for grades 3, 4 and 5, and 6:30 to 7:10 p.m. for grades 6, 7 and 8. Participants must bring a hockey stick, and those who wish to be a goalie should bring gear or a baseball glove.
- Kick Ball, Centennial Field, free: Wednesdays, February 3-24, from 5:30 to 6:10 p.m. for grades 3, 4 and 5, and 6:30 to 7:10 p.m. for grades 6, 7 and 8.
- Volleyball, Veterans Field, $20: Wednesdays, February 3-24, from 5:30 to 6:10 p.m. for grades 3, 4 and 5, and 6:30 to 7:10 p.m. for grades 6, 7 and 8. Separate program for high school girls on
Thursdays, February 4-25, from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Participants must wear cleats.
- Cross Country, Cedar Grove Park on Fairview Avenue, free: Saturdays from 10 to 10:40 a.m. for grades 3, 4 and 5, and 11 to 11:40 a.m. for grades 6,7 and 8.
- Family Hikes, local woods, free: Saturdays, February 13-27 and March 6, 8:30 a.m. Three-mile round-trip hike at Hilltop, Eagle Rock, Mills and South Mountain Reservations. Schedule and locations will be emailed to registered participants.
- The V Trail: Opening Wednesday, February 3, it is a 0.6-mile walk around the Verona Community Center fields complex. The trail starts and ends at the front door of the VCC. It is marked with a Maroon V. Follow that V to circle the complex.