“A Universe of Stories” is the theme of Verona Public Library’s 2019 Summer Reading Program. Explore the wonders of storytelling through a reading club, story times, crafts, maker projects, coding, and special weekly performances. The Summer Reading Program is open to all Verona residents, from pre-readers through adult.
Registration begins on Saturday, June 22 at 9 a.m. in the Children’s Room. Pick up your reading log and summer book tote in the library. After that, sign up for the club anytime in the Children’s room or online at www.veronalibrary.org/summer-reading. The 2019 Summer Reading Club kick-off features “Spoon Man” on Saturday, June 22 at 1:30 p.m. at the Verona Public Library, 17 Gould Street.
Special programs are offered every Wednesday at 1:30 p.m. through August 7, funded by the Friends of the Verona Public Library.
Wednesday, June 26, at 1:30 p.m.: Lizard Guys will bring a live, educational animal presentation with lizards, snakes, turtles, frogs, and bugs.
- Wednesday, July 10, at 1:30 p.m.: Enjoy the magic of midsummer with pizza, crafts, games, and friends at the library during our Midsummer Pizza Party. Registration required. Register online at www.veronalibrary.org .
- Wednesday, July 17, at 1:30 p.m.: Enjoy Summer Edible Art, a delicious and nutritious afternoon snack and craft with ShopRite’s dietitian. Registration required. Register online at www.veronalibrary.org.
- Wednesday, July 24, at 1:30 p.m.: Cowboy-Western Variety Show brings magic, ventriloquism, and slapstick in a western-themed everything show with cowboy Jon Koon.
- Wednesday, July 31, at 1:30 p.m.: Enjoy the magic of storytelling and balloon-twisting, featuring aliens, mermaids, and frogs with Animal Balloon Storytelling.
- Wednesday, August 7, at 1:30 p.m.: Summer Reading Finale Featuring Polka Dot!!!
Here is how the Reading Club works:
Pick up your reading log and summer book tote in the Library on Saturday, June 22. After that, sign up for the club anytime in the Children’s room or online: veronalibrary.org/2019-summer-reading/
Pre-Readers thru Elementary School Readers:
- Be sure to fill out a star with your name for our display.
- Read every day (recommended: 30 minutes).
- Color in your reading log for each day read.
- Return the reading log to the library each week for a special prize.
- Bonus prizes will be awarded at raffles, so be sure to check in regularly.
- Have fun!
Middle School & Teen Readers:
READ IT: Fiction or nonfiction, graphic novels, comic books, audio books, eBooks – read whatever YOU want to read this summer!
RATE IT: Fill out a book review form – rate your book, then write a short review. Did you love it? Did you hate it? Was it just meh?
WIN IT: We are doing a point system. For every 20 pages read, you will receive 1 point. You get 1 point for every review you submit. Cash in 5 points once a week for a prize (one prize per week). Prizes include earbuds, phone grips, galaxy slime, tote bags, and more!
If you earn 30 points by August 7, you will score an invitation to our Teen Exclusive Summer Reading Wrap-Up Party on August 8 at 2 p.m. There will be lots of ice cream, games, and prize raffles.
Visit the Library’s website for even more information about activities, games & prizes: www.veronalibrary.org. All programs are free of charge.