With Hurricane Irene quickly approaching, the Verona Police Department has issued the following information to help you prepare for the storm. The VPD also suggests that you sign up for their e-mail alerts by logging on to www.veronapolice.org and entering your e-mail address in the “sign up for e-mail alerts” section on the home page.
In anticipation of Hurricane Irene all residents are reminded to:
- Secure all outdoor furniture, toys and trash cans to prevent them from blowing around.
- Have a battery-operated flashlight and radio available in the event of a power failure.
- Make sure all cell phones are full charged
- Remember that 9-1-1 is for emergencies only.
- If you see wires down in the roadway or see wires that are on fire contact the police department for assistance. Do NOT go near the wires. Remember–just because the wire is not jumping around does NOT mean that it isn’t live.
- If your power, telephone or cable service goes out you should contact the provider of these services for assistance. The Police Department will not be able to get your services restored. Remember to be patient when calling these service providers–during a big storm they are dealing with many outages and there may be a delay in having your service restored.
- Phone numbers for local utilities: PSE&G 800-436-7734; Comcast Cable 800-266-2278; Verizon 800-837-4966
- If you have a medical condition and you use medical equipment that is powered by electricity, have non electrical back up equipment available. Also you should register with the Verona Police Department so that we are aware of your medical situation before the power goes out. Please call (973) 857-4817 during regular business hours to register.
- Residents are advised to remain at home and stay off the roadways during severe weather. If you must travel do not try and drive through flooding on roadways.