About That State School Money For Montclair

Date:

Share post:

- Advertisement -
Montclair's Board of Education office

“Geez,” a fellow pool-goer said to me the other day, “did you see all that state aid Montclair got for its schools? How come Verona didn’t get it?” The short answer is, because it would have been a really bad idea right now, and here’s why.

New Jersey, in its infinite tighten-the-budget wisdom, just doled out $270 million for school facilities improvements. Montclair got about $1.2 million of that, the only town in Essex County to get any money at all. But the state funds only 40% of a project’s cost, which means that Montclair must fund the remaining 60% with a bond–which means a referendum to spend and increase taxes. An increase that will be over and above the increase Montclair is already facing because of its municipal budget shortfall.

Verona has gotten this kind of money in the past, by the way. When we did our big school remodel, we got a similar 40% grant from the old School Construction Authority. But rather than be awarded in bulk, our funding is paid out in installments that are used to make the repayments on the bond that Verona voters approved for the project. One other big difference with Montclair: The interest on our bond was just a touch over 4%; the current market for municipal borrowing could leave Montclair facing an interest rate that is 50% higher. Ouch.

- Advertisement -
Virginia Citrano
Virginia Citranohttps://myveronanj.com
Virginia Citrano grew up in Verona. She moved away to write and edit for The Wall Street Journal’s European edition, Institutional Investor, Crain’s New York Business and Forbes.com. Since returning to Verona, she has volunteered for school, civic and religious groups, served nine years on the Verona Environmental Commission and is now part of Sustainable Verona. She co-founded MyVeronaNJ in 2009. You can reach Virginia at [email protected]

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Related articles

Car Stolen After Driver Leaves Key Fob Inside

The Verona Police Department has posted a video of another car theft in Verona to show the public...

Real Estate: 6 New Listings, 5 Open Houses, 2 Price Changes

There are six new real estate listings in Verona this steamy weekend, from starter homes to a large...

Learn First Aid For Mental Health

The Verona Municipal Alliance Committee (VMAC) is sponsoring a free, virtual mental health first aid training session on...

Sherrill Comments On Jan. 6 Committee Investigation Of Capitol Tours

Six days after the  January 6, 2021 attack on the U.S. Capitol, Rep. Mikie Sherrill (D-NJ11) indicated in...