Over the holiday weekend, the Boys’ and Girls’ Track Teams competed at the Summit Relays. Because of some bad weather, this was the first opportunity many of the athletes had to compete this season. The Girls finished fourth overall in a field of 16 while the Boys placed eighth.
Coach Gene Leporati is very enthusiastic coming out of the event.” Our distance, hurdle, and throwing teams look strong and I believe our talented group of first-year athletes will eventually fill in many other events. I was most pleased with our performance and came away from the meet with a lot of positives.”
Coach Sebastian Powell was very excited about two school records being broken on the boy’s side.” In the 4×800 Relay, Dave Oster, Dave Lukas, Nick Lukas, and Eddie Congdon set a new school record with a time of 8:32.51. The boys also won the Distance Medley Relay in convincing fashion with Dave Lukas, Vinny Puchik, Nick Lukas, and Dave Oster also breaking a VHS school record by finishing in 12:56:16.”
Aside from the records, there were many other notable finishes for Hillbillies:
- Joel Paisner, Luke Sheehan, Canberk Oguz, and Kweku Sapara-Grant finished 3rd in the 4×110 Meter Shuttle Hurdle with a time of 1:10:12.
- Kweku Sapara-Grant finished 3rd in the Boys High Jump, jumping 5-08.00.
- The team of Ashlee Petroski, Marybeth Grund, and Laura Williams finished 2nd in the Girls 400 Meter Hurdles Relay.
- Kelly Scully, Rebecca Conaway, Erin Smythe, and Heather Sweeney captured a 3rd place finish in the Distance Medley with a time of 13:39.51.
- Rebecca Slotkin cleared 10-00.00 to earn herself a 2nd place finish in the Pole Vault.
- Rebecca Lee won the Girls Shot Put by throwing 33-00.25. Verona’s Shot Put team of Lee, Julia Temple, and Montana DelColle finished 2nd overall.
- Rebecca Slotkin, Julia Temple, and Logan Bronson finished 3rd overall in the Girls Javelin.
Both track teams will be competing in the Aviator Relays at Hasbrouck Heights today at 4:00.